WHY DO YOU WANT TO HAVE A VIRTUAL ASSISTANT BUSINESS?
When I started out with an idea of starting my own business, I didn’t have a compelling reason to start the business. I had this vague idea of starting something like “Sonja’s Secretarial Services” but I had no real motivation to do it as I was happily working full time. Needless to say, my research into different possibilities for the business didn’t deliver real results, except educating me about what a virtual assistant business looks like.
I’ve noticed that with many virtual assistant start-ups that we get so focused on the HOW and everything that needs doing that we miss the important WHY.
Yet this is the first question your friends, family and business associates will ask you when you tell them about your new venture as a virtual assistant. WHY?
It is not only important to have a solid answer to this question, but you really need to believe the answer you give. If you are going to convince other people to support you, you need to be passionate about your WHY and be able to explain it well.
Starting out a new business, especially if you’ve never done it before, is really scary. You are going to push your boundaries further than you ever imagined. You are going to have to take risks so that you can realise your dreams and goals. The only way to overcome the fear that this causes, is to have a strong enough WHY. If your WHY is not greater than your fear of doing it, then you most likely won’t get your business off the ground.
MY WHY IN STARTING UP MY VIRTUAL ASSISTANT BUSINESS WAS STRONG:
- My husband believed in me being successful so strongly that he went out and bought me a laptop. I couldn’t let him down.
- I wanted to be able to spend more time with my family. I wanted to be more involved in my children’s development.
- I wanted to be able to work from home, set my own business hours and make business decisions independently.
- I am intensely interested in business productivity and I believed that I could make a difference in the lives of business owners.
Your WHY will probably be totally different. That doesn’t matter. What matters is that your WHY is well-structured and so powerful that you wake up every morning thinking about it. Nothing must be able to derail you from achieving it. You must feel emotionally attached to it. It should be a part of who you are. It should drive you to take action every single day.
What can you do today to increase your motivation and determination to achieve the goals you’ve set?
- Think about something in the past that was outside your comfort zone which you attempted and did not achieve, for example, losing weight. Was your WHY big enough?
- Make a list of what you want to achieve with your virtual assistant business.
- Next to each goal above, write down a clear and heart-felt WHY, so that you can prioritise what is really important to you.
I wish you every success with your virtual assistant business. If you need any help, or perhaps just someone to act as a sounding board, please don’t hesitate to schedule a free 30 minute call with me.